History of the School
The School was built in 1862 and endowed 11 years later by the sister of the foundress. It provided a lodging for the family of the schoolmaster and an acre of garden. There were 63 children in attendance. They were instructed in the three Rs- Reading, Writing and Arithmetic - and the girls had an additional subject, needlework.
The Deed of Settlement in 1887 included a sum of £66 - 'so long as the portrait of Georgina Charlotte Talbot shall be hung in the schoolroom and the inscription kept'.
The first headmaster was Samuel Kerley. He had six children, including a son, 'Young Sam' . Young Sam became People's warden and lived 98 years. He tolled the bell at the first service in the Church.
The second Headteacher, Luke Hindmarsh, created a log book for the school and the first entry in October 1877 records an alteration in fee by order of the trustees:
"The children who do not belong to Talbot Village pay 3d each, except where there are more than two children from the same family. The fees would then be 3d, for the first, 2d for the second and 1d for each of the others."
The early log books of the school provide many insights into the life of the times; its school history and climatic conditions. Early photographs show the changes in fashion. In 1886 the girls wore pleated dresses and hair was drawn severely from the face. The boys wore knickerbockers and the coats were fitted under Eton type collars.
The name of the school seems to vary; the stone mounted in the building gives it as "Endowed", at another time it is called "Talbot Village Undenominational School". With the coming of the Barchester Scheme when the school was helped by Diocesan funds it became "St Mark's Aided School". With the extension of the Dorset Boundary in 1974 it became "St Mark's, Bournemouth". To the old inhabitants of the area it will always be known as "Talbot" or the "Village School".
The school, after the celebration of its centenary in 1962, had the final stages of its improvements and its modernisation completed, including extra classrooms, an assembly hall and connecting corridors, and this was officially opened by Sir John Eden, MP in March 1967. The Parents' Association is very active and largely through their efforts a covered, heated swimming pool has been built.